One area I'd expect some people to notice a difference

How this site works Homework 1: Amos and Hosea One area I'd expect some people to notice a difference

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ben Staz 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Tim
    Keymaster

One area I’d expect some people to notice a difference is “personality” or “tone”. Although these two prophets are speaking God’s reaction to the sins of Israel (the Northern Kingdom) at about the same time, I don’t think the emotions they express sound the same. Does anyone else notice this?

Ben Staz
    Participant

The tone of Amos strikes me as quite matter of fact and impersonal : “This is what I’m going to do. This is why.” Hosea has a lot more emotion. We really hear the heart of God – how Israel’s actions grieve God, how God deeply loves Israel and is committed to her despite the pain she often causes Him.

In Hosea I noticed a strong emphasis on idolatry and Israel’s promiscuity (i.e. sin directly against God) as the reason for God’s judgement. In Amos the emphasis seems to more about the people of Israel sinning against one another, social injustice etc.

[Amo 3:12 ESV] Thus says the LORD: “As the shepherd rescues from the mouth of the lion two legs, or a piece of an ear, so shall the people of Israel who dwell in Samaria be rescued, with the corner of a couch and part of a bed. – Now there’s an interesting image!

That’s some of my thoughts after reading the two books (books I haven’t read in a looong time!)

Tim
    Keymaster

I suspect most people would resonate with your description of Amos as more “matter of fact and impersonal” and that “Hosea has a lot more emotion”. I wonder though if the difference is one of depth of emotion so much as the sort of emotion? Amos uses caustically cutting language, as does Hosea, but Hosea speaks in more personal ways (e.g. all the marriage or parent/child language) while Amos is more clinical or surgical. I’m not sure if I explained that well… In the example you gave from Amos the powerful and shocking imagery surely suggests emotion?

Ben Staz
    Participant

Hey Tim, I read Amos again and I think you’re right. The emotion is not as obvious to me as in Hosea, but there’s no denying there is emotion behind some of the “caustically cutting language”. The passage below certainly carries emotion!

[Amo 5:21-23 ESV] “I hate, I despise your feasts, and I take no delight in your solemn assemblies. Even though you offer me your burnt offerings and grain offerings, I will not accept them; and the peace offerings of your fattened animals, I will not look upon them. Take away from me the noise of your songs; to the melody of your harps I will not listen.

There’s one verse in Amos that I find quite disturbing and I was hoping you could provide some insight…

[Amo 3:6b HCSB] If a disaster occurs in a city, hasn’t the LORD done it?

My understanding is that this is a rhetorical question (like those before it) and the answer should be ‘yes of course the Lord has done it’. Does this then mean that all disasters that befall cities are the Lord’s doing (God causes them), including the Christchurch Earthquake? Everything in me wants to say no, but this verse suggests that it is. How do you interpret it?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.