Colloquium and Book
Call for papers:
This colloquium (sponsored by Laidlaw-Carey Graduate School in Auckland, New Zealand) will explore cultural and theological implications of aspects of the book of Isaiah in the context of empire. Potential papers might include, but are by no means limited to:
- readings of particular texts in the light of ancient imperial contexts
- studies of the redaction history of Isaiah
- Isaiah (or a particular text) in contemporary “imperial” or post-colonial contexts
- theological reflections
- cross cultural perspectives on Isaiah in imperial contexts
- contemporary political reflections
The colloquium will take place in Auckland, NZ, on 14th-15th February 2011 (this is summertime in NZ but after schools have begun for the year). Since we intend to publish a book with the same title in 2011, draft papers will be circulated among participants in 2010 and final form submitted by April 15th 2011.
Please send enquiries and abstracts before 30th September 2010 to:
Dr Tim Bulkeley email@example.com or
Dr Tim Meadowcroft TMeadowcroft@laidlaw.ac.nz
For some reason SBL do not seem to have added this colloquium to their online listing, despite emailing them, though SOTS and some other professional societies have circulated the Call for Papers. In order to make it better known please either repost this, or email the link to any scholar you know with an interest in Isaiah.