Here’s a simple, fairly quick, impressive finger food that foodies will love, and will convert (most) Black Pudding skeptics.1
- Slices of precut grainy bread (about one per person)
- Black Pudding
- Tomatoes (small ones you’ll need 3-4 slices for each slice of bread)
- Blue cheese
- Walnut pieces (not too small, but not whole halves)
While the toast is popping from the toaster slice your black pudding into enough thin rounds. Fry them, having ensured the fry pan is hot, so a water droplet dances, before spraying the pan with oil.
Meanwhile cut small tomatoes into slices.6
Cut small lumps of blue cheese, Kaimai Creamy Blue is ideal, a softer blue works better than the Stilton sort.
Cut the toasts into rounds by pressing the cutter7 firmly. Assemble by placing one slice of Black Pudding, one of tomato on each round, and top off with a piece of walnut pressed into the blue cheese.
Voila Canapés au bout danois!
And more people converted into Black Pudding fans ;) BTW the left over bits of toast can be warmed in the morning in the pan as you fry more Black Pudding, and with any left over bits of tomato, and some blue cheese makes a fine breakfast, Breakfast au Bouts Danois8
- “bout danois” which would mean something like a Danish end or a Danish leftover but to most non-Francophones just sounds posh and mysterious is a pun on Boudin Noir = Black Pudding. [↩]
- You will get about 3-4 canapés per slice if you use an eggcup as your cutter. Four slices made enough for a starter for four hungry people, and leftovers for breakfast for one :) [↩]
- I dipped a teaspoon in crushed garlic let the lumps drip off and wiped that over one face of a slice. [↩]
- For you do surely have a plastic spray dispenser like they sell for misting flowers etc. for $5 filled with Soya Oil, or some such, don’t you? If you don’t you should, aside from spraying stuff to get a very light misting of oil it lets you fry with less fat! [↩]
- Yes, they will go in the electric toaster, no worries. [↩]
- If your tomatoes are too big do NOT despair, just cut the slices in half later. [↩]
- Or egg cup ;) [↩]
- No, do NOT add walnuts this time, that would be greedy, what are you a pig? [↩]